T.L. Jones Mercantile” – 1914

T.L. Jones Mercantile” – 1914

“T.L. Jones Mercantile” – 1914          BrewBakers Coffee House & Gifts – 2016 T.L. (Tucker Lon) Jones came to Arnold on March 13, 1912, to manage a general merchandise store that Duckett and Maddox (Custer Hotel site)  had rented to Omar Helton and Thomas...
Center School District #185 – 1892

Center School District #185 – 1892

In 1892, Center School District 185, was located about 4½ miles southeast of Callaway, Nebraska, and about 3 miles north of the site of the old village of Lodi. It stood on the south side of the South Loup River in the west-central portion of Custer Township or...
Custer Hotel – 1928

Custer Hotel – 1928

Grand Central Hotel, built by Robert Probert in 1887 was just south of Unganst’s Hardware store, which he had also built, in 1884.  Both buildings were on the corner of the present Custer Hotel lot. A series of folks managed the hotel until it was sold in 1903 to...
Finch Memorial Library – 1924

Finch Memorial Library – 1924

(Library locations are italicized.) In February of 1913, eight ladies met at the Wm. Jennings home to organize a club called the Arnold Women’s Improvement Club AWIC.  They elected officers: Mrs. Fred Brittan president, Mrs. Jennings, vice-president, Mrs. Tom Backes...
Last Call Nazarene Church 1927

Last Call Nazarene Church 1927

208 Lincoln Street, Arnold, NE 69120 Arnold Church of the Nazarene started as a tabernacle meeting held by Reverend Theodore Ludwig.  The establishment of the church received much opposition.  The Arnold citizens were not in favor of having a holiness church, they...